Friday, March 9, 2012

Tiny Miracles

Last year, about this time, I announced a shoot for the moon dream. I was honestly thinking about the quote, “shoot for the moon, even if you miss you’ll land in the stars.” Well, I didn’t land in the stars, I landed on the moon. I announced on this blog, twitter, facebook and via email that I wanted to raise $10,000 to bring aid supplies and programs to the slum of Kibera. The support from friends, family and strangers blew my mind. I raised just over $10,000.

I quickly learned raising the money was only the first step. Then comes the planning. It takes a lot of time as you brainstorm ideas, present them and get approval from both Kenyan leaders and their US support and accountability partners.

I think it is vital to hear from the people in Kibera what they see as their greatest needs and meet them there. During my time in Kenya I saw three areas of great need:

  1. Basic Necessities: food, water, shelter and clothing.
  2. Mental and Physical Health Care
  3. Education and Mentorship

All three of these areas were echoed by families and children I have spent time with over the past two and a half years.

My first area of focus will be education. Education, because that is our only hope of breaking the cycle of poverty. While I will be focusing on education I am also going to be supplying schools with basic first aid tools, which can save lives in place where HIV/AIDS and water borne diseases run rampant. I will also be bringing with me as many children’s shoes and clothes as possible.

Now the exciting news... I’m going to Kenya in two weeks with the head of Tirzah International to meet with the leaders of Homecare and Ghetto Light Youth, visit schools, families, homes and businesses. I am honored to have the opportunity. I know that I will be learning so much about the people of Kibera and how I can serve and empower them.

For me the past two years have been especially difficult and filled with trials and loss. This little miracle of a dream reminds me that God is faithful. He is faithful and He hears our prayers, He hears our cries. His answers may not come in our timing but they will come in His. There are times when I have been frustrated, defeated and ready to give up. But two weeks from today I will be arriving in Kenya to put to use $10,000, the exact amount I dreamed and prayed for. I am eternally grateful for all of you who have become a part of this journey along with me, your support means more than I can say. I can’t wait to share all I learn with you when I return.

Asante Sana,

Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment